Thursday, October 9, 2014

Day 9


Day 9:  Reading His Word



       I LOVE to read!!!  We have moved quite a few times and the one constant in our moving is the increase in books.  Even when we have a 6-month rental for the baseball season I tend to have a box of books to bring home.  The bookcases in my house definitely outnumber any other pieces of furniture.

       When I think about reading my Bible I am not as committed as I am a book of fiction.  Again, just being honest!  So I have to ask myself why?

       My hubby reads his Bible every day.  He is on the eighth straight year of reading the Bible from cover to cover.  How?  How can he find the time in his busy schedule?  When does he find time?  I asked him and in his relaxed, calm manner replied with, “Discipline”.

       As I thought about his one word response I wanted to say it can’t be that easy, but it is.  There are so many things we can fill our time with, television, the internet, writing, talking, reading a nonfiction book and on and on.  It takes discipline to do something on a consistent basis and we spend so much time doing the same things over and over that has no benefit to us other than fulfilling our desires.  Nothing that is beneficial is easy to do.  Reading our Bibles should be easy to do, but I don’t always find it to be.  I have to be disciplined to open the pages and read.  There I find my hope.

“For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope.”  Romans 15: 4

When I discipline myself to read I am filled with such amazing desire to continue.  His Word comes alive.  Passages that I have read become new and fresh, they jump out at me in a new way.  Without this connection to the Lord how can I truly seek the Immeasurably more He has for me? When I am reading His Word daily I find my thoughts and my life more balanced.

“Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.” Psalm 119: 105

 I need to spend time in His Word to understand and connect with Him better while becoming closer to Him and His ways.  The discipline of reading the Bible is not to check off on a list of things we do but to connect to our heavenly Father and seek the immeasurably more He has for us!


9 comments:

  1. So so true! When I make time to read, I'm always left wanting more.

    Have you heard of Keith Ferrin? I've really enjoyed his teaching on relationally reading the Bible, and I think you may too.

    Blessings on your 31 days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do not know Keith Ferrin but will look him up!!!

      Delete
  2. Your husband is right: discipline is the key! I've read through the Bible several times, but now spend time on specific studies. This year I'm memorizing a verse a week from the book of John and studying that verse for the week. LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great discipline to focus on one scripture a week!!! Thanks for reading my blog! Blessings

      Delete
  3. Your husband is right: discipline is the key! I've read through the Bible several times, but now spend time on specific studies. This year I'm memorizing a verse a week from the book of John and studying that verse for the week. LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fellow book addict who is struggling with to be disciplined as well. Daily devotionals like Jesus Calling have kept me focused on scripture, but I have trouble reading the bible straight through. I love to focus on a single topic and read every scripture related to it. Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can so relate to this post. I often find myself devouring a novel while my Bible sits neglected... and then once I start digging into His Word I want to keep going. Discipline... what is that? Definitely something I need to develop.
    Really enjoyed your thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Work on discipline every day....well most at least! Thanks for reading!

      Delete