Monday, August 31, 2015

Standing In The Fire...


My season is changing if I like it or not. This weekend I moved my youngest son into his dorm in New York City. I love this city and have lived in it for a summer but when it comes to leaving my youngest here it seems so much more daunting. But what is much more daunting is my new season of life. I have been a full time mom, plus may hours, for 25 years. As my older two sons are living independent lives I now move into the season of full time wife. What do I do now?


While reading the story of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego one thing that strikes me is when the three were in the fire, they were not alone. Fire that destroyed the men who took them to the furnace and burned off the bindings that the three were tied by the strongest soldiers of the army. Even in the heat of the moment they were there with Jesus being protected.

This season feels like a fire burning around me. The heat of not knowing what my life looks like in the near future. The heat of not knowing what is next in my marriage. The heat of loneliness that burns my heart. Fear engulfs me like the smoke rising. I am fearful of being old. I am fearful of what lies ahead. I am fearful that nothing lies ahead for me. I have done the hardest job on earth and that is all I am to do. I am fearful that time with my husband will reveal that he does not want to be with me. The fear suffocates me when I allow it. I have stuffed down the fear before trying to hide it, overcome it, extinguish it. I learned from that mistake. Pushing it down does nothing but intensify the flame and smoke. I stand in the fire as Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego did. I stand and allow Him to refine me in the season I am in.

I know that Jesus is with me. Protecting, Supporting. Guiding. When my circumstances burn around me I am not alone. I am choosing to stand in the fire and allow Him to protect me, support me and guide me to all that there is to be in this season.

Are you in the midst of circumstances that feel as if you are in a fiery furnace? Are you standing in the fire knowing that God is with you; protecting supporting and guiding? What season are you finding yourself in that you need to stand in the fire to find your way with God?

No comments:

Post a Comment