Monday, August 3, 2015

10 Things I learned from my first Writer’s Conference…

10 Things I learned from my first Writer’s Conference…



1.     Surround yourself. Being surrounded by others that are likeminded and focused is extremely inspiring!
2.     Business Cards. Bring Business Cards WITH your photo on them! This makes it easy to put a face with a name!
3.     Separate Sections. Place your business cards in a completely separate section than the cards you are collecting. I was handed the wrong card by at least five women. I am glad I read this tip before attending the conference!
4.     Card note. Write a note on each business card you are given so you have a reminder where and when you met the person. I kept up with this on the first two days. The third day was way too overwhelming! I gathered over 100 cards on the first two days and almost as many on the third.
5.     Bring a notebook. I brought a one-subject notebook to take notes. The conference gave you a book with outlines of each talk but having extra space to write was invaluable. Organize the notebook by making a list of the sessions and talks you take notes on. I used the last page of the notebook to create the list. These made it much easier to refer back to what order your notes are in when you want to refer back.
6.     Extra Pens. Bring more than a couple of pens. I ran out of ink in two pens and half of another. So much great information.
7.     Star and Highlight nuggets. When taking notes put a star or highlight those sticky statements or important nuggets of wisdom. This allows you to see where the impact of the session occurred for you.
8.     Build lasting relationships. Make contact with the writers that you felt a connection with. They can be a great resource during and after the conference!
9.     Be humble and encouraging. Promoting yourself to other writers doesn’t always encourage them to spend time with you. Invest time in others and what they are writing; it creates a mutual interest and encouragement.
10. Rest and reenergize. After the conference set your notes aside for a few days to a week. When you revisit them you are able to see them with a fresh eye.

The first writer’s conference was a huge success for me. Not because I got a book deal, but I grew as a writer. I am taking these nuggets of knowledge and continuing to grow. I am blessed to have met so many women who are like-minded and encouraging. If you haven’t been to a conference begin to look for one that meets your need to grow as a writer not just one that has the most availability to publishers or agents. Being around these writers has begun a fire for my future as a writer and my desire to pursue what God has in store for me.

Do you have a suggestion for a different writer’s conference that has been an amazing experience for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment