Monday, April 13, 2015

Home Opener....

Heading Into a Season of Change


Today begins the home opening week for my husband's baseball season. It also is home opening week for a season of change for me.

In five weeks my youngest son will be graduating high school. This event propels me into the biggest change in my life in quite a while. For about a year now I have been mentally preparing for the change but I don't know if you can really prepare fully for an empty nest. 

"In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps." Proverbs 16:9

No matter what I plan, I know the Lord will lead me through it. I tend to be a list maker, so with this task I also made lists of things to do to prepare for this new season of life. 
  1. Buy tissues: Lots and lots of tissues to take care of the overflow of tears for each of the Senior Events.
  2. Go through baby pictures to make a collage/book for the boy: Make sure #1 is accomplished before #2 is attempted.
  3. Celebrate the lasts: Make sure you experience the lasts with joy. Again, make sure #1 is accomplished before #3 is attempted.
  4. Get a bigger apartment for the baseball season: Seeing as how I haven't spent an entire season with my hubby in 15 years, a one-bedroom small apartment may not fly! 
  5. Find a hobby that I can do in a rental apartment: Still looking! Suggestions? It has to be something that won't burn down a building or too large and heavy to pack up and ship 'home' at the end of the season.
  6. Write more: I am in a continual process of finding my focus in writing and what goals I want to tackle.
  7. Buy some cool weather clothes: Pittsburgh is colder than Naples in the fall!
  8. Figure out what to do without a full calendar of baseball and high school events in the summer and fall: Travel! Planning to go on some road trips to baseball cities to explore and spend time with the hubby. 
  9. Encourage son to not check out on the school year too early: I have to remind myself daily that the school year is not over. No, you cannot sleep in, there will be plenty time for that in the fall. No you cannot travel every week to visit the hubby, the boy is still at home. (This lack of items on the calendar might be a bit of fun!) Oh yeah...WAKE UP!!! GET TO SCHOOL!!!! Two of the most used phrases in my house. Followed by a response from the boy, "I'm a Senior!" Continuing encouragement for us both!
  10. Make a map of places to visit on the drive home at the end of the season: Is there an App for that? Getting excited about the long drive with the hubby to get home on our own schedule.

Ok, my list went from torture to excitement. This list was the beginning of seeing God's hand in my path. He is giving me such a joy for the next season of my life, my marriage and my interests. I embrace it with open arms....and a few tears. Repeat #1!!!

Are there seasons in your life that you have an angst about confronting? Have you taken a step back making a list, mental or physical, of the tasks that you would like to accomplish? Is there something I could pray for you during this time? Do you know where to buy bulk tissues? I think I need to Repeat #1!!!

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you 
and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11



2 comments:

  1. My kids are on the other end of the spectrum, but I see them growing so much every day. It's hard to imagine it just being my husband and me again, thought there are many days I long for it, much as I love the kids. A weekend break would be great. And, great Pittsburgh weather for the opener. My husband and I were born and raised there. The photos from the park today are spectacular. Go Bucs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say God gives you Senior Spring so you are MORE than ready for them to leave!!!haha And a native of Pittsburgh, we love the city!!! We live downtown during the season and take advantage of all the happenings! Your day of empty nest will be upon you before you know it...it seems like yesterday when mine were at the other end of the spectrum! Enjoy what you can...and when you can't take a deep breath and try again...

      Delete