Thursday, May 1, 2014

The Season of Beginning...

Today I am starting a new season of beginning.  I am launching my Walking Through Seasons blog.  It is a step out in faith to share my writings and thoughts about the Seasons of my life.  I am not a professional writer but a mom and wife that likes to tell others the interesting stories of my crazy life. This is a blog is the beginning of disciplining myself in my writing and helping me be a better writer of stories.

I invite you to join me in the journey of Walking Through Seasons, a blog about my personal journey as a mom in the season of impending empty nest and all the seasons before now.  As I looked through other blogs about parenting I found a lot of questions being asked about walking through this particular season of impending empty nest and I read the desperation of moms in this season of feeling the loss of our children to adulthood, or some semblance of it.  I don't have the answers to many of these questions but would like to share the stories of my walk.  I hope to tell interesting stories of life as a mom to three boys, how I survived, how they survived, and how I am currently surviving.

I will add interesting things I have learned and am learning.  Not knowing where all this will go please show a little grace in my ramblings and reminiscing.  I found that Junior Prom actually sent me into a journey into the past by sifting through pictures, lots and lots of pictures (that have not yet found a home in any sort of books but live in boxes that have been moved many times!).  The reminiscing will be tearful for me but joyful and encouraging for you, at least I hope.

For a little more About Me, that I didn't include in the About Me section, I grew up in North Carolina, I  have not lived there for 30 years but if you could hear me you would know that I am Southern Born and Southern Bred!  I knew my whole life that I wanted to be a nurse.  I began working as a Candy Striper (spell checked for less laughter!) when I was 11 years old at our local hospital.  I was an eager worker and began volunteering in the Emergency Room at 12 years old.  At 16 I worked in a local nursing home.  After I left for college, Atlantic Christian College (ACC), I would return to work on weekends at the nursing home.  My family nickname was Pooper Scooper, need I say more.  I had great ambition to become a Critical Care Nurse.

My college experience was multifaceted, let's just say I really enjoyed my time.  I pledged the Delta Zeta sorority and enjoyed Greek life!  I truly had no intentions of finding a husband in college, I wanted fun and a degree.  However, I met my husband while I was at ACC.  My mother still says, "I sent you to college to find a husband.  I just didn't know it would be your professor!"   I did not graduate from ACC, it was looked down on that a student and a professor were dating.   The president of the college said I had made a life altering mistake when I chose to leave the school so my boyfriend could keep his job.

I changed schools, my boyfriend proposed, he got into professional baseball, we moved to Florida for this job, I enrolled into Florida Atlantic University to finish my degree.  We married a year later, had a son the next year, another two years later, and yet another four years later.  During this time we bought a house, I graduated from FAU, I worked as a Critical Care nurse, the hubby was Mr Mom for a couple of winters, we then spent three winters in Venezuela, living on the road for four years for baseball, moved to Chicago for one year, then to Boston, while the hubby worked for three different MLB teams during these years.  CRAZY!!!!!  Yes my life was altered in an amazing way and this is only the first 10 years of marriage!!!

Wow, it is exhausting just writing about those first few years!  But oh the stories within those years and the 17 so far that followed.  I have been a stay at home mom, homeschool mom, mean mom, nice mom, downer mom, fun mom, sad mom, happy mom, disappointed mom, proud mom, worried mom, peaceful mom  and so many more moms in between as well as being the same as a wife.  However, through out all of these seasons of life there are few regrets and so much happiness.

Now I find myself with my oldest son graduating from graduate school in eight days, my middle son applying to Medical Schools and going to Spain to study abroad, and my baby boy in his last month of Junior year of high school.  Where has the time gone?  Who am I without kids in the house?  I thank God that He has given me the passion to live life to the fullest through all of these seasons and I know that more grace abounds.

Hopefully you will walk along with me through this new season of my life.  I don't know where it is taking me or how I will survive, but I know I will survive!!!   The experiences of all the seasons of my life have prepared me for this time, let's walk this together!

No comments:

Post a Comment